Monday, September 7, 2015

The Damage Free Dorm Decorating DIY For The Classy Collegiate

 College has begun and everyone has moved from their rooms at home to the cold dorms that are provided on campus. The question I and I am sure many of you have asked is, how can I make my room not feel so not like home? I scowered Pinterest for countless ideas and gathered a few of my own. My biggest trial in all this was, I can not damage my walls. This makes personalizing my dorm a bit of a trial. I researched how to personalize without having to fork out the money for the damage at the end of the year. Here are my tips and results!




So I wanted a clean yet classy look for my bedding. Target has the cutest quilts! The line that mine is from is Shabby Chic. Eventually I hope to find cute throw pillows to add some color, but until then, I love my clean look. 
I love my lights above my bed! My strand lights are flowers and give off a warm, homey glow. I found those at IKEA. Hanging the lights was a bit risky, but I used command hooks. I am loving command strips and hooks! They are very durable and from the reviews I have read, they come off very clean as promised. 
Next, I wanted to add some personalized pictures, so I picked a few of my favorite pictures and found a Polaroid style on Picasa, Google's free photo editing program. They printed perfectly at Walmart! Next I wanted to hang them. I found some cute push pins at Target and found some twine in my house that I am sure you can find anywhere. I also bought and painted small cloths pins to hang the pictures from. I tied the twine into loops at the ends and stuck the ends on my push pins. Then I hung up all my pictures onto the twine with the clothes pins.  I was lucky to have cork boards on both sides of my room so that hanging my pictures wasn't a big deal.If you do have a problem with hanging things though, I would recommend wall puddy or command hooks.
 I found the cutest canvas picture of Audrey Hepburn at Icing for $8! I had to get it. Again, I used a push pin and hung the picture from it.
 Lastly, I wanted to decorate my walls. What I used was Scotch Washi Tape. My walls are painted brick, so the tape doesn't adhere to the walls as well, so I placed wall puddy at the ends and it has worked out. As you can see, I haven't finished one of the walls yet, but I will soon! Surprisingly, I only needed a little more than one and a half rolls per wall for my design. I only had one roll of gold which is why the other wall isn't finished. 
Throughout the year, I will probably add more, but I definitely feel more at home now that my dorm is personalized the way I like it and I won't have to pay big damage fees when I move out. If you have any questions, please comment below! Also, I would love to know how you decorate your dorms! Do you have any other tips for decorating your dorm?




No comments:

Post a Comment