Monday, September 7, 2015

DIY Cinderella Shoes

 
Today, I am going to show you how to make Cinderella shoes. They are based off of the new Disney Cinderella with Lily Evans. I did make them for me, but I would probably make them for little girls, but who knows, you could do a fun Cinderella cosplay with these too!



Here is what you will need:

  • White Canvas shoes (Walmart and H&M have great canvas shoes)
  •  Glitter of your choice; I bought glitter from Hobby Lobby, but you can go to your local craft store and I'm sure they would have similar types. I wanted to match her dress so I bought Blue Moon Iris, Crystal, and Silver glitter. The blue gives of different colors in light which is the feel I wanted and something that her dress does.

  •  Sequins or little jewels

  • Butterfly Foils

  • Modge Podge

  • Hot glue gun
  • Masking Tape

  •  Something to lay your shoes on. I used cardboard. This project gets pretty messy.
  • .Grocery bags or newspaper to stuff inside the shoes. 
  • 2-3 Paint brushes, one for modge podge, one to paint the glitter onto the shoes. 
  • A plastic spoon to mix
  • A paper bowl
  •  A cup of water to clean your brushes 
Steps:
  1. First, pour in your glitter. I used about half of the blue and a fourth of the silver and crystal glitter. You will need a lot but you can also mix more with each layer you paint on. 
2. Mix 3-4 spoonfuls of modge podge with the glitter. It should look pasty when you're done, like the picture below. 
3. Once you have your mixture, remove the laces from your shoes and place your grocery bags inside the shoes. Place masking tape around the edges of your shoes that you don't want glitter on. 
4. Using a paint brush, paint the glitter mixture onto the canvas shoes. It should look something like the picture below. 

                                     


5. Place them in the sun. Wait for about a half an hour before you paint on the next layer. I painted 3 layers.
6. Once you have finished painting the glitter mixture onto your shoes for however many layers you choose, let them dry for about an hour or two.Then carefully remove the masking tape from the edges of your shoes.

7. Once the tape is removed, heat up your glue gun. Then glue the butterflies and jewels all over the shoes. 
8. I covered the holes to put the laces through, so when my shoes were dry, I easily peeled the glitter off after I poked the holes with siccors.

Voila! Your shoes should be complete! 
 

TIPS: After completing my shoes, I realized that the canvas was stiff. I can still wear the shoes though. If I were to put glitter all over my shoes again, I would paint modge podge directly onto the shoes first, and then sprinkle the glitter on top. Then I would paint another layer of modge podge to ensure the glitter stays. I tested the theory on some american flag shoes I made afterwards and I liked the result better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment